Thursday, October 9, 2014

Eyal Gal - 24GHz transverter

Coming back
For some time there was no new post from me, but here is the one that can be handy and interesting. I will try to bring your attention on this peace oh the "aluminum brick" called Eyal Gal transceiver. If you have one or if you are planing to buy one then you already have the G8CUB paper about it and the basics about building the 24GHz transverter.


Word of discouragement
Buying the Eyal Gal transceiver unit is just a half way to a working transverter, maybe not even a half way, let say 40%. I learn that on my unit, so be prepared to some extra sacrifices :-) and hiding the money from your wife :-) I will try not to repeat the good Roger Ray G8CUB article about this unit. Instead of that I will try to present my itinerary and the way how I made this thing to transmit.


First thing - shopping (Eyal Gal and ELCOM Ceragon)
I obtain my unit (two units) from the "24GHz microwave store" owned by a really BIG gentleman Ernie -HG5ED. It was a big gift from a big guy like he is. He knew that this is just a half of the story, so he included the local oscillator to drive this wild machine. Yes, you need the external local oscillator too, so start saving the money.... The local oscillator should work on the half frequency and what is required is the high side injection. As I choose the 70cm IF, the local oscillator should run on 12240MHz. This can be done using the various techniques, from the endless multipliers chain to the expensive low phase noise oscillators. My local oscillator is the CDFS-1295, ELCOM-Ceragon unit that can be found from time to time on the E-bay. More likely you will find the DFS1201 Ceragon unit that can operate from 11-12Ghz which is not good for this radio, we need the 1295  model running from 12-13Ghz. Whatever, you need the 10dBm @ 12240MHz signal. If you plan to use the Ceragon LO's then you need also the controller to run this unit. The controller can be found around the web together with the software for the PIC.


Second thing - more shoping (power supply)
OK, so you have the transceiver, the local oscillator and now you need the descent power supply for the Eyal Gal unit. As you already know, +8V, +12V and -12V  are required for this unit. I start to make the first test with the old PC power supply where +/-12V is available and +8V was produced with a single 7808 voltage regulator. This can work, but if you plan to run your transverter portable on the car battery then the PC power supply is not a good option.The tricky part is obtaining -12V and 120mA. For that purpose I use the DC/DC converter (thanks to Ernie) where I have the +/-12V and 250mA output which should be more than enough for the negative supply. The positive 12V is obtained from the 12V rail external power supply or the battery. 
Another tricky part may be the +8V where the consumption may reach over 1A in TX. This can be solved with the switching units. To make things simple, I use two 7808 regulators in parallel with the diode on the output. All the voltage regulators are fixed to the good heatsink.

Finally some soldering (IF switching unit)
So beside the L.O. delivering 10dbm you need a IF radio delivering -21dbm for the proper mixing. Of course, the attenuators are used. Take care, if you ran the IF radio with 2w of output you need 54dB of attenuation on 70cm which is not a trivial. If you used the relay for switching, it should be a good one, with the good isolation. Instead of that, I use the old fashioned switching with the PIN diodes. It is true that also on the RX side I have something about 5db of attenuation, I cure the problem with an extra MMIC amplifier in the RX side of IF switching unit. Of course, I was faced then with the extra gain and s-meter showing S-2. Then extra attenuator was introduced, which is not bad idea as the mmic see the nice 50ohms on input/output.


All those PINS (Eyal Gal transceiver)
The Eyal-Gal unit is a transceiver and not so much to switch around it. To make a story short, you need to key only PIN 1 and all the rest of the pins you can leave n/c. 

But who want to know more:
Pin 1 is described as TX inhibit pin. It mean that you need to ground this pin when on RX and lift up when on TX. This will result better reception and less current consumption that leads to less heating of the Eyal-Gal at the end. So do not forget, PIN 1 to GND when on RX.
Pins 2 and 3 are n/c ( I love when the pins are n/c :-)
Pin 4 is 0V ( I left my n/c as I have enough ground through the housing )
Pin 5 is AGC To be correct, you can reduce the TX conversion gain by applying 0-5V dc. Leaving this port n/c :-) you will have the maximum gain (and the output power)
Pin 6 is a output power detector, where you can see by the DC voltage if you have the output power. I measure a bit more than 3V DC on that pin when on TX. Do not expect the voltage following the modulation! You will have constant (more or less) DC voltage as there is the 2xLO signal and both mixing products measured. This is why you need a filter on the TX output side !
Pin 7 is the RX AGC control. Well it works the same way like the pin 5, if n/c you will have the highest RX gain, if 0-5V dc applied you can reduce the RX gain.

Filtering (spending more money)
The output filter on the TX side is a MUST. Do not operate the transceiver without it because you may interfere with some cell tower links. You do not want to do that. You will have to look for a experience microwave guy help here or buy the tuned filter for the desired frequency.


Antenna switching
You probably heard the stories that antenna relay for the 24GHz operation should be a waveguide switch and nothing else... So why there are SMA coaxial relays on the market rated to operate up to 26.5GHz ? The E-bay is good source of such relays with a fair prices. More over the latching relay type can be purchased really cheap. Using the SMA relay will save you a troubles bending the waveguides, using the flexible waveguide and at the end the waveguide switch is really expensive. So the SMA coaxial relay is not only a cheaper but occupy less space and the box can be smaller, which also reduce the final cost of the transverter.
I did not measure the difference and the losses, but messing with the waveguide switch comparing to the SMA relay is not worth money and time.

First tests
Even the desk measurements on the instrumens were OK, the real test was performed listening the live signal on the band. Observe the frequency stability of the Eyal Gal transverter and the Mini beacon running some 4km away. The mini beacon will be explained in the next article. Note: none of the units were conected to the GPSDO reference.

Finally results :-)
At the end, what can be done with the 24GHz transverter described, so far I made the 236km QSO in a not so good conditions, means humidity 60%, temp 17 degC and pressure 1016hPa. The antenna used was a "footer" 32cm dish. The qso was a SSB with a solid copy both sides. Well, do not forget to switch the LSB on your radio when operating USB due to high side mixing. The drawback is that the tuning the frequency is opposite, but this should not be a problem for a experienced microwave operator.
Have fun.....

12 comments:

  1. Job well done again..!!!!! Congratulation..!! HG5ED

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. iI’m lauriel from New York, United States. I lost my job a few months back after my divorce with my wife. I tried everything positive to make sure I took good care of my kids but all failed, and I was in debt which makes everything worse. I was kicked out of my home and i had to live with my neighbor after pleading with her to allow me to stay with her for some days while I figured out how to get a home which she agreed to, but no one was willing to help anymore. I bumped into this page from google and I was excited about this, then I contacted the hackersBill Dean. I had just $200, so I pleaded with them to help me because of my condition but they never accepted. I believed in this, so I managed to pawn a few things and got $500. I ordered the $10,000 card and I got my card delivered to me by Ups 4 days later. I never believed my eyes! I was excited and upset as well, I managed to withdraw $2000 on the ATM and $2500 the second day. I went to Walmart and a grocery store and bought a couple of things for $3000. The card got blocked the third day and I contacted them and I was told it's a mistake from my end. I’m so happy, I have started all over again and have a good apartment with my kids you can contact him through is via email (globalatmcardhackingservice@gmail.com)or his whatsap contact (+1 301-887-5071) 

      Delete
  2. Adam can you please write the pinout for power supply
    connector 1-6? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,,  I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address::{Automatictellers@gmail.com}

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that  can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:: {Automatictellers@gmail.com}

    Visit our Website for more Info: automatictellers.webs.com
    ®

    ReplyDelete

  4. I'm here to testify about Mr John Blank ATM Cards which can withdraw money from any ATM machines around the world.. firstly I thought it was scam until I saw so many testimony about how Mr John sent them the ATM blank card and how it was used to withdraw money in any ATM machine and become rich so I decided to risk the opportunity I contacted him also and I applied for the Blank Card to my greatest surprise I have used it to get 10,000 dollars. maximum withdrawal daily $1,000, Mr John is giving out the card just to help the poor. Hack and take money directly from any ATM Machine Vault,If your interested kindly contact him directly on his email (johnlopez1945@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

  5. I'm here to testify about Mr John Blank ATM Cards which can withdraw money from any ATM machines around the world.. firstly I thought it was scam until I saw so many testimony about how Mr John sent them the ATM blank card and how it was used to withdraw money in any ATM machine and become rich so I decided to risk the opportunity I contacted him also and I applied for the Blank Card to my greatest surprise I have used it to get 10,000 dollars. maximum withdrawal daily $1,000, Mr John is giving out the card just to help the poor. Hack and take money directly from any ATM Machine Vault,If your interested kindly contact him directly on his email (johnlopez1945@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get Your Urgent Blank Atm Card Now To Pay Your Debt And Start A Good Life Contact Email Via:Cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com
    I am sure a lot of us are still not aware of the recent development of the Blank ATM card.. An ATM card that can change your financial status within few days. With this Blank ATM card, you can withdraw between $2,000-$3,000 -$5, 500-$8,800-$12, 000-$20,000-$35,000 -$50,000 daily from any ATM machine in the world. There is no risk of getting caught by any form of security if you followed the instructions properly. The Blank ATM card is also sophisticated due to the fact that the card has its own security making your transaction very safe and untraceable. i am not a stupid man that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done. For more info contact Mr john and also on how you are going to get your order..
    Order yours today via Email: cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get Your Urgent Blank Atm Card Now To Pay Your Debt And Start A Good Life Contact Email Via:Cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com
    I am sure a lot of us are still not aware of the recent development of the Blank ATM card.. An ATM card that can change your financial status within few days. With this Blank ATM card, you can withdraw between $2,000-$3,000 -$5, 500-$8,800-$12, 000-$20,000-$35,000 -$50,000 daily from any ATM machine in the world. There is no risk of getting caught by any form of security if you followed the instructions properly. The Blank ATM card is also sophisticated due to the fact that the card has its own security making your transaction very safe and untraceable. i am not a stupid man that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done. For more info contact Mr john and also on how you are going to get your order..
    Order yours today via Email: cryptoatmhacker@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. GET YOUR BLANK ATM CARD
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!
    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    make up your mind before applying, straight deal...
    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us via email address::harrylee62@live.com

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be used to hack ATM machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at any store or POS. we sell this cards to all our customers and interested buyers world wide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card you order for :: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack services we are here for you any time any day.

    Here is our price list for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $380 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $665 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $3,550 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,000 USD

    Make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!
    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via email address::harrylee62@live.com

    whatsApp: +1(312) 298-9500

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOW TO GET BLANK ATM CARD AND WITHDRAW
    UNLIMITED CASH
    This is the happiest moment of my life having no longer to worry about paying bills as i have been settled for life. A lot has been said about Atm hacking and blank card for cash withdrawal but it all seemed like a myth to me until i eventually lost my job few months back and the world seemed to be moving backwards. I went online in search of jobs and means to an end and there i found comments about harryblankatmharckers and how they deliver this card in less than 7 days with no risk involved and a far much lesser price compared to what the card itself can give you, i then made contact and purchase one from them with almost my last dollars I took the risk and in exactly 6 days latter my card and a manual was delivered to my home address here in California and that same evening i used the card was able to take out $5000 for a start its been just 3 weeks and my life has taken a new shape. I simply want to say thank you to this electronic company and help spread their fame abroad. If you ever are in need of this card contact them via email :dicksonharryblankatmharckers@gmail.com .....
    Don't mail them if you not really ready for this card is gonna cost you money to buy the card note that,they offer card to firms, orphans,individual and business personnel's mail them immediately .....

    ReplyDelete
  10. email: visacreditcardsolution@gmail.comGET YOUR BLANK ATM CREDIT CARD AT AFFORDABLE PRICE*
    **We sell these cards to all our customers and interested buyers
    worldwide,the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5000 and up to $50,000
    spending limit in stores and unlimited on POS.**

    **WHAT WE OFFER**

    *1)WESTERN UNION TRANSFERS/MONEY GRAM TRANSFER*
    *2)BANKS LOGINS*
    *3)BANKS TRANSFERS*
    *4)CRYPTO CURRENCY MINNING*
    *5)BUYING OF GIFT CARDS*
    *6)LOADING OF ACCOUNTS*
    *7)WALMART TRANSFERS*
    *8)BITCOIN INVESTMENTS*
    *9)REMOVING OF NAME FROM DEBIT RECORD AND CRIMINAL RECORD*
    *10)BANK HACKING*

    ReplyDelete
  11. This card are real i got my card few hours ago and am just coming back from the ATM where i made my first withdraw of 1500$ i am going crazy this is fucking real OSCAR WHITE sorry for being so skeptical about it at first don’t blame me the street these days got fucked up lots of scammers and now i can recommend whoever needs a blank ATM card with about $50,000 on it which you can withdraw within a month because the card has a daily limit.if you are facing any financial problem contact him asap email address is oscarwhitehackersworld@gmail.com or whats-app +1(513)-299-8247 as soon as possible .

    ReplyDelete